CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Tue Mar 8 6:45 pm  #1

Eddie Mulheron

I learned recently that a footballer from my distant past had passed away some time back. Eddie Mulheron had a long career at Clyde and was earned his place in their Hall of Fame. Prior to joining Clyde he played for Benburb my favourite Scottish Non League club.
I have many memories of Eddie who lived in Drumoyne same as me in Govan. Just two.The first one was amusing. Benburb were having their worst ever season and their supporters said they might as well get some kids off t...he Govan streets who they reckoned could be no worse. A new coach had just joined and done just that and Eddie was one of the new players in one of the Bens youngest ever teams. They were brilliant; started winning matches and the supporters loved it. A second memory of Eddie was that he scored one of the best goals I have ever seen ; a long distance shot which went in like a rocket. against Rob Roy.
Eddie Mulheron, who has died aged 72, was a household name in Scottish football throughout the 1960s and early 70s. He played 258 games for Clyde, where he distinguished himself as a tough-tackling defender. In 1972 he emigrated to Durban in South Africa, initially to play for Durban United. When his playing career ended in controversy he went on to become a successful coach there, winning much praise for his stance against racism in sport at a time when the Apartheid regime was in place.
Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/…/obituary-eddie-mulheron-footballe…
Follow us: @TheScotsman on Twitter | TheScotsmanNewspaper on Facebook See more https://external-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBQjyvv1vTFKyBO&w=487&h=255&url=http%3A%2F%2Feditorial.jpress.co.uk%2Fmastheads%2FSWTS-masthead-share-img.png&cfs=1&upscale=1&ext=png2jpg

Board footera