CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sat Jul 19 6:09 pm  #1

My childhood as a girl in Govanite.

Hi everyone,

I lived at 73 Nethan Street, we lived up in the attic and my friends loved to come up and play on the wooden stairs.  Like every other wean in the summer, it never seemed to rain, we played until the street lights were lit.  We were never scared of anyone and didn't know what "don't talk to strangers" would have meant.  Govan was a great place to live.  

Does anyone remember buying coloured crepe paper and sewing skirts and giant bows in our hair.  We would invite all the Mums and Grans to come and watch.  They would bring ginger and biscuits to share.  Us kids would do our routine, this had been worked out weeks before secretly, so it was quite a sharp performance.  We got a big clap at the end, with drinks and buscuits all round.  

I'm classed as a true Govanite as I fell in the Elderpark Pond.  I don't know who rescued me but he saved my life.  I just remember walking down to the edge of the pond but what I didn't know was there is a big drop if you go off that shelf.  One more memory that lots of you will remember was jumping the dykes. There were about ten of us and everyone was taking their turn,  I was the smallest of us and they were all shouting at me to jump and I shouted back I'm just getting ready to give it a good run.  

I was so busy shouting at them, I didn't realise I'd come to the end of the dyke, over I went and wakened up with everybody staring at me.  My Mother took me to A&E at the Southern, where a giant black man, (a doctor) I had never seen a black man before and when he tried to pull my knickers to examine my pelvis, I just screamed the place down. He then said to my mortified Mother, "I think her pelvis is fine by the way she's trying to kick me."  I don't remember coming from the hospital. So, being a Govanite was quite an emotianal time for me, but I still v isit Govan and go into the Pearce Institute.
Marie McIntosh.

Sun Jul 20 2:48 pm  #2

Re: My childhood as a girl in Govanite.

Hello Marie,
Enjoyed the read thank you.  The Elder Park pond edge was always very slippy and a lot of folk fell in; usually trying to gather a small boat in. 

Like yourself I was born at the Southern General in 1948 and it is said that the best crop of Govanites were born during this year (hmm ?).

David.

Fri Jul 25 11:18 am  #3

Re: My childhood as a girl in Govanite.

Hello there Marie, You are quite correct in saying "Govan was a great place to live!" I too have many fomd memories of my time in Govan. I lost count of the times I fell into the Elderpark pond and the dykes were a favourite of mine and my Brother Eddie. I can still remember some of their names. "The Big Charlie, the wee Charlie, the Devils leep, the motorbike and one I can't remember the name of but you had to jump from the top of the air-raid shelter across a 15 foot gap and land on a small ledge about the width of a house brick. Too fast and you would splatter you face against the wall and miss the iron grill covering the windows.

One time (like yourself) I was running to make a jump from one air-raid shelter to the other where there was a line of sharp pointed railings between the shelters. I tripped just as I was going to make the jump at the edge and fell towards the sharp pointed spikes on the railings, just missing them. I must have banged my head as I was knocked out and my Brother must have ran home to McKechnie Street and brought my Mother back. I was still out cold but when I woke up she helped me up and walked me home again.

I also had a visit to the Suffering General as we used to call it because they sent me home after ten days in hospital with a broken arm. One the day I came out of the Suffering General my Mum took us onto a tramcar to go back home but when we came to our stop we were coming down the stairs from the upper deck of the tram and as you will know it curved round to the right on the way down the steps. My Mother had a hols of my right hand, (my left arm was still in plaster) and the tram jerked when it stopped. So my Mother pulled my arm a bit and I let out a scream. The Doctors was only across the road from McKechnie Street on Govan Road so she took me in to see the Doctor.

He took one look at my arm and said to my Mother, (and I can still remember his words to this day) he said; "Get that boy back to the hospital again because his right arm is also broken." So we had to get back onto the tramcar (me with a broken arm and the other in plaster) back along Govan Road to the hospital again to get them to fix it.

When my Mother told them that they had sent me home with a broken right arm they said, "We had so much trouble trying to fix his left arm as they had to put clips on the bones to join them back together again. They had to open my left arm to fix the three breaks and a fracture. I have a scar about eight inches long where they opened up my arm to fix it. Oh yes! And I woke up in the middle of the operation and sat up on the table and looked into my open arm. They gave me another shot and I fell asleep again.  That's why our family calls it the Suffering General.

Here is a picture I took of my arm to show you what I mean!
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx55/Idletester/IMG_0432_zps8470830c.jpg

Nice of them to leave me a reminder. I was only about 10 then I think?
I better shut up as this is getting a bit too long!
Nice to hear from you Marie.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Board footera