Main Website has now closed down
but this forum will be left running.

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sun Apr 17 3:45 pm  #1

Rangers win against Celtic. . . .

Rangers overcome Celtic in nerve-wracking penalty
shoot-out at Hampden

RANGERS have booked their place in the Scottish Cup final after a thrilling win over Old Firm rivals Celtic at Hampden.

Mark Warburton’s side won 5-4 on penalties after the game had finished 1-1 after 90 minutes and 2-2 at the end of extra time. The Light Blues will now face Hibernian in the final as they look to add the Scottish Cup to their Championship crown and the Petrofac Training Cup silverware. Kenny Miller put the Gers ahead before Erik Sviatchenko pulled Ronny Deila’s side level. In extra-time, Tom Rogic cancelled out a Barrie McKay effort to send the tie to penalties.

And it was Rogic who was the Hoops villain as he missed from twelve yards to pile the pressure on under-fire boss Deila. Warburton had few selection dilemmas ahead of his second trip to Hampden after losing Martyn Waghorn and Harry Forrester to injury, while Michael O’Halloran and Billy King were cup-tied. It was Dean Shiels who came into the side and Warburton stuck with his 4-3-3 formation as Rangers set out to attack their Glasgow rivals.

It was no surprise to see Partick Roberts handed a derby bow for Celtic but Kris Commons, who scored in the League Cup semi win last term, had to settle for a seat on the bench. The start was frantic as Rangers immediately got into their attacking groove but there were chances at both ends, Craig Gordon saving well from Miller before Stefan Johansen fired wide from the edge of the area and Scott Brown missed a golden chance as his low effort narrowly missed the target. Rangers were knocking the ball about with confidence on a Hampden pitch that was coping well after only being laid last week and hosting the semi-final between Hibs and Dundee United on Saturday.

Cheeky Rangers fans paint kerbs outside Celtic pub red, white and blue

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (

Mon Apr 18 9:10 am  #2

Re: Rangers win against Celtic. . . .

I watched the match on Sky yesterday Jimmy.  Cracking game that could have gone either way.
Rangers seemed to have most possession but Celtic the most shots at goal.
How the Celtic player missed that chance in the first half was amazing; I would have fancied my chances to score from there !.
I understand a Rangers midfielder (Halligan ?)  is Govan boy. Needless to say he was probably man of the match (hmm !!).



Mon Apr 18 11:52 am  #3

Re: Rangers win against Celtic. . . .

Yes David it was a cracking game. So for some of our over seas MyGovan members here is some more about the game and some pictures. The Match Report and at the end Match Highlights Video: Enjoy!

 Rangers 2016: Live Stream Info, TV Channel, Prediction For
Scottish Cup Semifinal

Prediction: Rangers’ absentees will be a major blow to their chances of causing an upset, and particularly to threatening a Celtic defense that has conceded just five goals in their last 11 matches. A repeat, in least in terms of the scoreline, of last year’s meeting could be on the cards.
Predicted score: Celtic 2-0 Rangers. How wrong they were.

Goals and Yellow Cards.
16' K. Miller [1 - 0]
32' E. Sviatchenko Yellow Card
50' E. Sviatchenko [1 - 1]
59' D. Ball Yellow Card
75' S. Johansen Yellow Card
88' J. Tavernier Yellow Card 
96' B. McKay [2 - 1]
106' T. Rogic [2 - 2]
118' A. Halliday Yellow Card

Rangers vs Celtic, Scottish Cup semi-final: Rangers into the final
after dramatic penalty shootout

Rangers celebrate after Tom Rogic's penalty miss put them into the Scottish Cup final.

Here is the Match Report:
Rangers 2 Celtic 2: Rangers triumph 5-4 in epic penalty shootout to reach Scottish Cup final

Rangers will face Hibernian in the Scottish Cup final -  CREDIT: REUTERS IMAGES

The myth that Scottish football could somehow retain its value without an effective Rangers challenge to Celtic was pulverised into the Hampden turf by the end of an epic Old Firm contest, as compelling as any in the previous 400 meetings of these arch-foes. Do the sponsors of the William Hill Scottish Cup feel that their investment has paid off in spades? You bet – and so do the broadcasters.

Such was the spillover from this semi-final that the Crystal Palace players, who had walked on to the pitch on arrival at the Emirates for their meeting with Arsenal, clustered around the phone of ex-Celt, Joe Ledley, to watch live coverage of the penalty shootout in Glasgow.

This was football as grand opera which, at one stage, looked as though it might outdo the Ring Cycle in duration, but there was no need for the fat lady’s aria. The raucous, booming celebrations of the Rangers support, as they hailed their team’s audacious victory against the odds, guaranteed that Hampden was literally rocking at the finale as they hailed their date with Hibernian in what will be the first ever Scottish Cup final between two lower league contenders.


The Celtic faithful, meanwhile, seethed as they departed at speed to avoid the spectacle of ancient rivals savouring their disenchantment. Before the stragglers had reached their transport home, radio phone-ins and social media had been swamped with the outpouring of anger from Hoops fans.

The most insistent demand was that Ronny Deila should go, the sooner the better. One group of incensed followers clad in green and white even pitched up in front of the stadium’s main entrance to chant that the Norwegian should be hanged.

Happily, the general atmosphere was nothing like so intemperate, with only 10 arrests for minor offences reported within the ground. In any case, the need to follow the endless switchbacks of play consumed virtually all the available energy of the stands.

Kenny Miller gave Rangers the lead CREDIT: REUTERS IMAGES

Most prior assumptions about the likely course of the match were shredded immediately as Rangers got straight into Celtic’s faces and forced two corner kicks. The pace of Rangers’ thrusts caught Celtic utterly unprepared and Deila’s players could not make up the ground before the interval.

By that stage they had trailed for half an hour to a typically predatory goal by Kenny Miller. The seasoned striker, a veteran of three spells at Ibrox and one in Celtic’s colours, posted notice of intent as early as the fifth minute when he fastened on to a shrewd prompt from Barrie McKay to bear down on Craig Gordon, who moved smartly off his line to block the danger.

Miller's goal gave Rangers a half-time lead CREDIT: REUTERS IMAGES

The goalkeeper, though, could not deny Miller on the quarter hour mark. Andy Halliday’s attempt to find Miller from outside the box was spotted by Scott Brown but, although the Celtic captain got a toe to the ball, he could only deflect it even more favourably for the Rangers forward to get the drop on Dedryck Boyata, then swivel and shoot low beyond Gordon.

Boyata’s presence looked like an unwise gamble on Deila’s part from the start. Although the Belgian central defender somehow escaped a caution for a succession of fouls, it was only a matter of time before further calamity befell him and it was to applause from the Celtic fans that he was replaced by Erik Sviatchenko 10 minutes after Miller’s goal, although it took an injury to Boyata to force the decision.


Rangers’ tempo and resolve were all the more remarkable because they were without regulars like the injured Harry Forrester and Martyn Waghorn, as well as the cup-tied Billy King and Michael O’Halloran. In fact, the Ibrox squad was curtailed to the point where Mark Warburton could name only five substitutes.

After playing the first 45 minutes at racing pace, the question for Warburton was how his players would cope when muscles began to ache in the later stages. However, a more pressing problem for Deila was that too many of his starting selection were simply anonymous.

Sviatchenko celebrates his goal

Gary Mackay-Steven could have featured on a Missing Persons appeal and even the normally combative Brown looked half blown by the break. Scalding words presumably rebounded from the dressing room walls, because Celtic emerged transformed, forced four corners on the trot and harvested reward from the last of those, when Sviatchenko rose above Danny Wilson to head forcefully home.

The equaliser was a blessing for Patrick Roberts who – in Celtic’s one moment of first half threat – had shot into the side netting on the rebound from a Leigh Griffiths effort which spun back to him off the post, with the Rangers goal almost empty.

Barrie McKay scored a screamer to put Rangers 2-1 up

Sviatchenko’s intervention was not supervened during normal time and an added period looked inevitable long before the 90 minutes were up. Extra time, astonishingly, simply provided a condensed version of what had gone before as a spectacular drive by McKay put Rangers ahead again, only for Tom Rogic – who had replaced the struggling Stefan Johansen – to bullet home an equaliser at the start of the second additional period.

The fluctuations of fortune insisted on a further twist, provided in the dying seconds by Griffiths with a phenomenal free kick which crashed down off the crossbar, hit Wes Foderingham on the back and spun behind for a corner kick, which Rangers defended to ensure the penalty decider.

Halliday, McKay, Lee Wallace and Gideon Zelalem were successful for Rangers and Charlie Mulgrew, Nir Bitton, Griffiths and Mikael Lustig for Celtic. Misses by Rangers’ Nicky Clark and Celtic’s Brown made up the statutory five apiece and Nicky Law began the sudden death phase by beating Gordon coolly.

Tom Rogic pulled it back to 2-2 and sent the match to penalties

It fell to Rogic to reply for Celtic, but the Australian, who had kept them in contention in extra time, pitched his effort over the top to bedlam from the Rangers end which must have registered on the Richter scale. It will certainly trigger aftershocks at Parkhead, with Deila now a dead man walking. It is only a matter of time before the earth swallows him up.

Watch the Match Highlights here and watch out for the goal by Barry McKay in the 96th minute.

Rangers 5 Vs Celtic 4

Now the Gers will have to meet Hibs in the Scottish Cup final.

Hibernian 0-0 Dundee United (Hibs win 4-2 on penalties)
William Hill Scottish Cup

Hibernian reached the William Hill Scottish Cup Final for the first time since 2013
with a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Dundee United. 

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (
     Thread Starter

Board footera


Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum