CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Apr 1 3:30 pm  #1

A Time in Govan

http://mygovan.com/atimeingovan2.jpg

A short Book Extract relating to a teacher at Drumoyne Primary School
and the first televised political debate by candidates at a by election.

CHAPTER 37

LET US HASTE  TO KELVINGROVE

Drumoyne School has one male teacher and his name is William Park. He is about to become famous and get at least half an hour in the front of Scottish television and BBC television cameras.

A By Election has been called for the Westminster Constituency of  Glasgow Kelvingrove  on the opposite side of the River Clyde from Govan.

Derek has arrived home to 31, Daviot Street and put on the television. It takes around 5 minutes for the valves to warm up and a face he recognises is on the screen; Mr. Park a teacher at his school !. Ruth and Robbie are both sitting reading. Ruth reads a newspaper on the table ; drinking tea and smoking a cigarette. Her brother Robbie reads a book whilst sitting in front of an armchair in front of a warm coal fire. He smokes a pipe making the living room full of smoke.

Derek says ‘ Mr.Park is a teacher at Drumoyne School; what is this politics he is discussing ?’.  Ruth says ‘He is standing as a Candidate in the By Election at Kelvingrove but he has no chance whatsoever’. A few days later and William Park is the first Candidate to lodge his papers with the Sheriff at the County Buildings in Glasgow. He is to be the Independent Labour Party Candidate. The newspaper reporters are there to obtain a quote or two from him.

Mr.Park says ‘ Well at least I will be first at something !. The first to lodge my papers for the By Election !’. He is then asked ‘Why are you splitting the Labour vote at the By Election ?’. Mr Park replies ‘ It is the Labour and the Tory Candidates that are splitting the vote !’.  There are three major policies in which we are different from the Labour and Tory candidates. That is the H Bomb; Conscription and Unilateral Disarmament’. The reporters ask ‘What about your campaign ?’.  Mr.Park replied ‘ I will not be taking any time off from my teaching job at Drumoyne School except for the last few days and the day of the count. I will be doing my campaigning in the open air for the most part ‘. 

David

Wed Apr 6 11:27 am  #2

Re: A Time in Govan

Housey - Housey  page 211

On a Saturday night James Duff from Greenfield Street got very drunk and decided to climb the scaffold at St.Anthony’s Chapel to the very top. Once there he started to sing at the top of his voice. Many drinkers along Govan Road wondered where all the noise was coming from and looked up to see Duff singing.  A sizable crowd gathered in apprehension as the painter by trade swayed backwards and forwards. Eventually, he was persuaded by the police to come down.  He was asked in court why he climbed the scaffold. ‘I did it for a bet’ says Duff.  ‘Well you have lost your bet !. £3 pounds fine or 30 days in jail said Baillie James Will. Jimmy Welsh was in court and was relieved that no criticism was levied towards the scaffolding.
    Ruth walks along Craigton Road with one of her neighbours. She is on her way to ‘Housey– Housey’ at  the hall in 205 Crossloan Road. Ruth blethers away and they both hope that they can get a win. The evening is going well and the 190 present thoroughly enjoy the occasion. The Govan wumin blether away as only Govan wumin could. Suddenly the hall door bursts open and a squad of police officers burst in. Six of the organisers were arrested and taken down to the Govan Police Station for fingerprinting. The180 of those present were made to provide their names pending charges.
    Ruth was furious when she arrived back at 20 Craigton Road. ‘Jimmy, I hiv never seen anything like it !!. I wis sittin ther wi jist wan number tae get when in came the polis !’.
    Jimmy says ‘ Well I have never heard of that before !. You will just have to do your gambling within the law Ruth !’. Jimmy smiled but Ruth did not and just stared at him.
    At Govan Police Court Fiscal W.Grindlay outlined the case against the six accused. Mrs. Catherine Mc Minimee (36) of Moss Heights, Cardonald; Peter McGregor (50) of 31, Fairfield Street, Govan; Thomas Scott (33) of 10, Crossloan Road, Govan; George McMinimee (19) of 179, Queensland Drive, Cardonald; Duncan McIntosh (27) of 3, Elder Street, Govan; and John Hughes (27) of 38 Walkerburn Road, Cardonald.
     Fiscal Grindlay said the raid was the first of its kind in Glasgow. When the Govan Hall opened it had about 120 people each paying 2 Shillings and 6 Pence for admission. Plain clothed police officers also attended and one of them won a prize of £5. On this occasion there were 12 games played and the prize money £26. On other occasions 200 and 300 people attended and prize money went up to £30.
    Mrs.Mc Minimee said that they had applied for a license under the Lotteries Act to hold the Housey-Housey but the process seemed to take a long time. Each of the six were fined £10 or 30 days in jail.
    Ruth and most of the Housey-Housey players were not happy. She awaited a letter from the Police telling her what was going to happen to her and the others. The Police let go several elderly people and also some younger players.

Fri Apr 22 5:46 pm  #3

St.Gerrard's 4 Govan High 0   at Hampden Park.The 1950's were halcyon days for Scottish Schools football. Many great players arrived on the scene and Govan had two powerful schools football teams who could match the best in the country.
Book Extracts: (A Time in Govan)
St.Gerrards had a powerful side and were more than a match for any school team.
The squad comprised of A.Mc Gill, C.Neville, T.Mulholland, J.Armour, E.Gallagher, M.Conner, G.O’Hara, A.Boyd, F.Fox, J.Mc Guire (captain), P.Catterson, J.Mc Bride.
Peter Catterson and Joe McBride were very frequent scorers for the St.Gerrard’s side.
Govan High were providing good players to senior football.
The latest was Billy Crawford who was doing well at Partick Thistle. His brother was captain of the Govan High team. The Scottish Cup semi Finals kept the two Govan sides apart with both at home. Govan High faced St.Mungo while St. Gerrards were against Kings Park. The Schools Football Association reported that they had no record of a boy ever being sent off in a match for a long time.
Bellahouston Academy not to be outdone by their fellow Govan Schools were also doing well in a few of the age groups. The most famous player produced by Bella was Davie Meiklejohn who made his name a few hundred yards along the road at Ibrox Park with Rangers.
Hampden Park saw a lot of Govan visitors as the eagerly awaited Scottish Secondary Schools Shield Final took place. The two Central Govan schools St.Gerrards and Govan High played much good football. St.Gerrards led 2– 0 at half time with goals from O’Conner and Joe Mc Bride. Peter Catterson scored two more goals for St.Gerrads in the second half and despite a fair bit of attacking Govan High were on the end of an emphatic 4-0 loss.
RESULT: ST.GERRARD’S 4 GOVAN HIGH 0David Posts: 672Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:02 pmTop

Thu Apr 28 7:40 pm  #4

Here Comes the Hurricane
    Auld Jock and Fred decided it was time for a cigarette at their works in the Corporation Sewage Plant next to Stephens in Linthouse. Jock lit the fag and blew the smoke which was immediately whisked away down  the River Clyde. It was a very windy day and on the Whiteinch bank opposite  there was a fair bit of activity.
    Jock says ‘ It looks as though we are just in time Fred; they are launching  an oil tanker at Barclay Curle’s’. Fred says ‘ I seen the name on the back of the stern was Hurricane; quite appropriate for todays conditions. Ah here she goes !’.  The Hurricane was launched and slipped into the Clyde from the Barclay Curle launching platform.
     Jock noticed something he was not happy with. He says ’Fred, I don’t think the stern should be in that position. The angle looks wrong !’.  Fred says ‘ Yes it is swinging round and coming over here fast Jock’.  Jock says ‘ Right we’re  ooot o’ here Fred’ and they both ran off warning other worker. The Hurricane was heading towards a 30 foot high gantry and nothing seemed to be able to stop it. A huge crash was heard all over both sides of the river as the tanker careered into the gantry.
    The Hurricane careered onwards towards Stephens Shipyard but fortunately came to rest just before it hit the first of the Stephens ships.

Wed Jun 15 8:16 am  #5

The Music Teachers strap
The school lessons have started in earnest at Govan High and the music lessons are causing a lot of concern. They are held in the Dysart Street building and the teacher is Mr.Mather. Most felt before the music lessons that the reputation Mr.Mather had was probably over exaggerated.  The one big plus Derek felt was that the lesson before was Arts  which were held at the Ranch a good 10 minute walk away making the music lesson shorter than scheduled. One thing which most in the class were looking forward to was perhaps a chance to play a musical instruments. Unfortunately, the stock was low. It comprised only of a Tambourine (apparently donated by the local Salvation Army) with 2 sets of its metal jingles missing and two second hand triangles (apparently donated by the local boys brigade group). They were stored in a box behind    Mr.Mather`s piano. The class was far too large for the seating capacity.
     The two seated desks had three pupils and it was a squash. One day as the class entered the room they went to the desks and  there was a noise as the class settled. Then an almighty ’Whack’. Mr.Mather had produced his strap and slammed in on a desk adjacent to his piano. The wood varnish on    this desk was well worn and there was a slight groove where the music teacher had slammed down the tawse many times before. Mr.Mather said ‘ I do not expect such noise when you enter a class. You are here to learn music not to chatter; do I make myself clear ?’.
     One girl said ‘Yes Mr.Mather’.  Mr.Mather was a short man in his fifties, balding and with deep wrinkles on his forehead. Some previous pupils suggested he was in a Japanese Prisoner of war camp during the war. There was debate on whether that was on the British or Japanese side amongst the pupils. A few minutes into the lesson and Mr.Mather moved quickly across the classroom towards the desk where he kept his strap. He pointed and said ’You boy get out here !’.
    A dozen mystified boy pupils tried to guess who he was pointing at before one lad who thought he was at the end of the finger stepped out. He was given three whacks with the strap in a particularly vicious fashion. He was made to put a towel over his wrists and hold his left hand under his right hand. After the first whack he was asked to change hands.  By instinct he tried to pull his hand away before the second whack and the towel fell on the floor.
    This meant a fourth whack for allowing such a thing to happen. The boy was very red faced and in pain after the four whacks; after two on each hand had been concluded.Of course the end of the lesson could not come soon enough for most  and when the bell sounded there was great relief. Mr.Mather was a nasty vicious little man. He did like some of the class who had music inclinations. However, the vast majority did not enjoy his lessons in any shape or form.

Board footera