CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sat Nov 22 2:22 pm  #1

Govan NEWS Today. . . .

Celtic agree to pay inhouse staff the
equivalent of the living wage

Celtic have agreed to pay all inhouse staff a minimum hourly pay rate of £7.85 per hour,
the equivalent of the new 'Living Wage'.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/1416577644-887.jpg

However, the Parkhead club has said it would not sign up to the Living Wage scheme as it would mean "handing over decision making on salaries to another agency".

Celtic had been under pressure for over a year from sections of its own support, as well as campaigners and some politicians, to introduce a minimum of £7.65 per hour for all those employed by the club, even via outside contractors. The club's board refused this at last year's annual general meeting, claiming it would cost in excess of £500,000 to implement.

However, at today's agm club chairman Ian Bankier said the board understood "this is an important issue and have listened" before promising the £7.85 minimum.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell later said the board could not accept the resolution put forward by supporters' shareholders group the Celtic Trust to introduce the Living Wage but would consult with staff about the new salary base.

DO YOU WANT TO READ MORE??

Easdales deny King's claim over Rangers trade-off
SANDY EASDALE wanted a guarantee that he and his brother would keep their power base at Rangers if Dave King's consortium won control of the club.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25932069.jpg

The Easdale brothers hold key positions in Rangers boardroom

That was the claim last night from former Ibrox director King as the war of words continues to escalate in the fall-out from Mike Ashley's Ibrox power grab. The tycoon saw his £16million bail-out package knocked back by the Light Blues hierarchy earlier this month. The South Africa-based businessman now claims football board chairman Easdale sought the assurance for him and his brother James, a director of Rangers International Football Club plc, that they would keep their boardroom places in the event that King's plans won shareholder approval.

King said: "When I spoke to Sandy on my recent trip to Scotland his main concern was whether, after investment by our consortium, he would still be able to stay involved with the club. "He indicated that Mike Ashley would look after him if he assisted Ashley in protecting his commercial rights. The new investment proposed by Paul [Murray], George [Letham] and I was seen as a threat to Sports Direct's desire to extend its influence over the Rangers brand in all its forms.

"After discussion with Paul and George, I confirmed by email to Sandy that we had no immediate intention to remove him or his brother from board involvement at Rangers. This concession was clearly not enough to gain his support and the board approved the inferior offer presented by Ashley.

Celtic joy as skipper Scott signs new 4-year deal
SCOTT BROWN last night signed a four-year contract extension with Celtic - and signalled he's poised to end his career at Parkhead.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25932213.jpg

Scott Brown has led Celtic to three consecutive league titles

The 29-year-old penned the new deal and instantly dashed the hopes of several leading English Premier League clubs said to be weighing up a multi-million pound raid for the Celtic skipper. Crystal Palace and Fulham were among clubs linked with the midfielder. And former Parkhead boss Neil Lennon was also watching developments as he looked to strengthen his Bolton side in the January transfer window.

But last night Brown rebuffed all thoughts of moving elsewhere as he signed the deal that will keep him at Celtic until the summer of 2018. Speaking to the official Celtic website, Brown said: "It's an absolute privilege to extend my contract with Celtic, a brilliant football club and with such incredible supporters.

"This is a place that I call home. Being Celtic captain is a tremendous honour and it is a role which I cherish dearly. The team is in a great place just now and we're all right behind the manager and the backroom team as they build for the future. "I will do all I can with the manager and all the players at the club to deliver the success which our supporters deserve."

Johansen: It was always going to take time
but Deila will lead Celtic to success

THE evidence building suggests Ronny Deila is on the right track.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25930160.jpg

Stefan Johansen (left) and Craig Gordon join Lucinda Rivers
to hand over a donation to Unicef and War Child

There were points during the early days of the Celtic manager's tenure when his methods and ideology were placed under severe scrutiny but of late any doubts over his suitability for the job have been largely extinguished.

Deila need only point at his team's record to counter any quibbles over the effectiveness of his managerial style; top of the Scottish Premiership with a game in hand, in good shape to reach the last 32 of the Europa League, awaiting a League Cup semi-final meeting with Rangers and a Scottish Cup tie against Hearts.

Beyond qualifying for the Champions League, it is difficult to see what more Deila could have done in his first five months in the job.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Mon Nov 24 5:00 pm  #2

Re: Govan NEWS Today. . . .

Rangers striker Daly claims referee was conned
RANGERS striker Jon Daly today accused Hearts players of conning referee
Craig Thomson in their top-of-the-table clash at Tynecastle.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25953597.jpg

Jon Daly (centre) was angry with the antics of the Hearts players during Saturday's Tynecastle
clash which saw Stevie Smith (left) red-carded in the first half by referee Craig Thomson.

Thomson sent off Gers midfielder Stevie Smith in the first half of the game for a challenge on right-back Callum Paterson, with Robbie Neilson's side going on to defeat their 10-man rivals 2-0 to stretch their lead at the top of the SPFL Championship to nine points.

The match official also dished out nine yellow cards - and Daly reckons the Hearts players were deliberately trying to get their opponents sent off.

He said: "A red card decision didn't help us on Saturday. But I didn't think Smudger (Smith) let us down. I thought he was unfortunate. He's gone to win the ball and he's slightly late. In this day and age you seem to get red cards for tackles like that.

"For me, I don't think their reaction helps the situation, but that seems to be the way football is. It's changed an awful lot since I started playing. That seems to be coming in a lot more into the game, players trying to get people booked and sent off. I don't think it's the right thing to be doing."

Daly added: "I think it's a man's game and when a player gets hit and he goes down screaming like he's been shot by a sniper I don't think it really helps.

"Obviously the referee hears a scream and sees the reaction of a player rolling on the floor and he thinks he has been seriously hurt.
do you want to read more??

Deila has no fear over Celtic Europe
recall for Ambrose

CELTIC boss Ronny Deila refuses to rule out Jason Denayer from Thursday's Europa
League game against Salzburg.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25953738.jpg

Ronny Deila is confident Efe Ambrose can step in for Jason Denayer if the young defender
is not fit to face Salzburg

But, if scans show that the Belgian defender - who limped off at half-time in the 2-1 win over Dundee at Parkhead - has sustained serious bone or ligament damage to his left ankle, the Hoops boss has no fears about pitching Efe Ambrose in for this vital game.

The Nigerian lost his central defensive position when Denayer joined the club on loan from Manchester City in August. Ambrose initially switched to right-back, but dropped to the bench when Mikael Lustig and Adam Matthews recovered from early-season injuries.

His last start was in the home defeat to Hamilton on October 5, and, before coming on for the second half against Dundee, he spent seven games limited to watching from the bench. If Denayer does not recover in time - Lustig is already ruled out for at least three weeks with a hamstring injury - Charlie Mulgrew is another option as a partner for Virgil van Dijk in central defence.

But the Scotland international has been a key player in midfield in recent weeks, and Ambrose has much more experience alongside Van Dijk after playing all last season there.

However, lack of game time in the past couple of months could count against Ambrose.

He looked rusty when he came on at the weekend, though Deila is confident his recent appearances at right-back for Nigeria in African Cup of Nations qualifiers will have offset this lack of match practice.

Pool filled with doubt - Rodgers
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers admitted his side are lacking in confidence after he saw
them lose 3-1 at Crystal Palace.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25953409.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers (left) suffered in the rain as Crystal Palace ran out 3-1
winners

Pool looked like halting a run of three straight defeats when Rickie Lambert broke his duck for the Reds by tucking home a perfect Adam Lallana pass inside the opening two minutes.

With Mario Balotelli sidelined with a groin injury, fellow summer signing Lambert was handed just his second Premier League start and did not take long to take advantage of his chance.

But that was as good as it got for Rodgers' side as Dwight Gayle - who scored twice in the memorable 3-3 draw here last season - levelled after Yannick Bolasie saw a driven effort come back off the post.

The second half started slowly but two goals in a three-minute period were enough to seal victory for the Eagles as Yannick supplied ex-Celtic ace Joe Ledley to put the hosts ahead before skipper Mile Jedinak bent home a 30-yard free-kick to seal a 3-1 win.

The defeat leaves Liverpool 18 points adrift of pace-setters Chelsea and just two ahead of Palace, and Rodgers conceded heads have dropped in his squad following a poor spell.

"It was bitterly disappointing," he said of the performance. "You've seen a team low on confidence. Not quite together as a team. We need to find a solution very quickly.

"I put the team out there, the best team to win us the game.

"Overall, that intensity and togetherness in our game isn't there. When you don't get the results, that affects you. That leads to (damaged) confidence. We have to work harder but we go away bitterly disappointed with the result. At this moment, we're just not good enough."

Haste ye back.

Sat Dec 20 11:04 pm  #3

Ally McCoist: I wasn't surprised that Rangers made my wage public
RANGERS boss Ally McCoist has admitted he wasn't surprised when details of his new £750,000 pay deal were made public this week.
Saturday 20/12/2014

The Ibrox club confirmed that McCoist had resigned as manager in a statement to the AIM Stock Exchange on Monday morning and the brief announcement also revealed that the 52-year-old's "salary will increase significantly" during his 12-month notice period.

In a remark that hinted at his unhappiness at how Rangers had conducted business at times during his tenure, he stressed that he hadn't been taken him aback when that information was released.

He said: "Did it disappoint me that my wages were highlighted?

"When I became the first Rangers manager in history to have his salary put in the accounts that made me realise that probably nothing should shock me. It didn't disappoint me because it didn't surprise me.

"Was it unnecessary? That would be the opinion of many, yes. If I said it was unnecessary that would give the impression I was upset about it. But I'm not.

"I can't gauge everybody's opinion. People will have their own opinion of it and see it for what it is.

"But it's past now. But put it this way, I was surprised more when my salary was put in the Rangers accounts. "It wasn't in again this year. It's probably the only place it hasn't appeared. But I have nothing to hide, I have nothing to be ashamed of. It is what it is."

McCoist's annual wage has been a constant source of controversy during his difficult three-and-a-half years as Rangers manager.

The legendary striker (McCoist) worked for free during administration and took a bumper pay cut back in January when it emerged the club was facing further financial difficulties. He said: "I worked for nothing for months. I decided to take a 45% cut and I then took a 40% cut. I'm not saying 'a big pat on the back for Ally' but there's a wee bit more to it than meets the eye.

"When I signed my contract for Rangers there was no negotiation. Martin Bain [former chief executive] put a contract down and I took a pen and signed it.

"I was just delighted I was getting the job so that's what I did. During the administration period I worked for nothing, so there are other factors that should be taken into account as well.

"I can understand different views and opinions on it, but there's a wee bit more to it."

Meanwhile, McCoist has stressed he expects to remain in charge for the full duration of his notice period - and had spoken to new chief executive Derek Llambias.

Former Newcastle United supremo Llambias was confirmed as Graham Wallace's successor in a Stock Exchange statement yesterday.

Speculation has been rife that McCoist, who met with senior club officials on Wednesday, will be paid off and a permanent replacement will be brought in.

He said: "I spoke to him [Llambias] before training. I congratulated him on his new role which he is looking forward to.

"We'll hopefully get a chance to sit down in the not too distant future to discuss plans for the team and for January, all that sort of stuff."

Haste ye back.

Sun Dec 21 6:15 pm  #4

Jimmy,

A few thoughts on Ally.
My son is an ardent Rangers supporter. He flies up to several matches each season and is a member of the Rangers London branch. Incidentally a few weeks back one of the branch supporters died after a bad accident at work and they had 600 people at his funeral in Brighton. The feeling amongst many of the supporters is that Ally Mc Coist was a smashing footballer but not such a good manager. There is a feeling that many at Rangers have not really reailsed  that the club financially are in trouble and seem to think they can carry on as before on outrageous wages. Clearly this contract is amateurish and if Mc Coist is a true Rangers man he should negotiate a much smaller pay off to help the club. He should depart ASAP.
The feeling I have is that there seems to be too many people in positions at Ibrox who no one trusts. Perhaps have a Trust set up run by the supporters might be the answer. It is a shame to see the present shambles.

David

Wed Jan 21 2:29 am  #5

david wrote:

Jimmy,

A few thoughts on Ally.
My son is an ardent Rangers supporter. He flies up to several matches each season and is a member of the Rangers London branch. Incidentally a few weeks back one of the branch supporters died after a bad accident at work and they had 600 people at his funeral in Brighton. The feeling amongst many of the supporters is that Ally Mc Coist was a smashing footballer but not such a good manager. There is a feeling that many at Rangers have not really reailsed  that the club financially are in trouble and seem to think they can carry on as before on outrageous wages. Clearly this contract is amateurish and if Mc Coist is a true Rangers man he should negotiate a much smaller pay off to help the club. He should depart ASAP.
The feeling I have is that there seems to be too many people in positions at Ibrox who no one trusts. Perhaps have a Trust set up run by the supporters might be the answer. It is a shame to see the present shambles.

David

Yes David Ally was a good player for the club but although he should leave so should a lot of other plonkers that put the club into such dire straits. A supporters trust might be the answer David but who will run the trust and who would have access to it finances? Something has to be done with the clubs directors and maybe a good idea would be to shoot the buggers and get the club sorted out. Rangers used to be the richest club in europe at one time. Such a sad state of affairs now-a-days!!

Haste ye back.

Board footera