CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sun Oct 26 12:16 pm  #1

Govan NEWS Today............

Girvan put up strong fight in cup tie.
Girvan FC produced arguably their best display of the season so far as they went down fighting in a defeat to Benburb in the West of Scotland Cup. The Seasiders lost the tie 4-2 away from home on Saturday but they were leading at one point and the match only turned on a controversial red card.

Ian McIntyre’s penalty after 19 minutes had Girvan ahead in a tie they went into as 5/1 outsiders with the book makers. The lead was shortlived with Benburb equalising five minutes later on 24 minutes. Girvan more than held their own though and went in level at half-time. The home side completed their turnaround early on in the second half when they took the lead on 51 minutes to go ahead 2-1.

The game turned on a decision to send off Girvan’s Neal Gilmour for a challenge on 57 minutes. The referee claimed Gilmour had gone in studs up on one of the Benburb players but the Gazette understands that the club are hoping to appeal the decision.
SO YOU WANT TO READ MORE??

Brother who murdered sibling at mother's flat jailed for 18 years
http://files.stv.tv/imagebase/33/623x349/33675-court-the-pair-were-sentenced-at-the-high-court-in-glasgow-on-friday.jpg

A man who murdered his brother in a knife attack while they stayed at their mother's home over the festive period has been jailed for life. Peter Moore, 28, was found guilty of murdering his brother Derek at their mother's flat in Glasgow on January 3. The two brothers had been staying at their mother's home in Drive Road, Govan, over Christmas.

Made in Glasgow: Shearer Candles boss Ian Barnet sheds some light on benefits of Govan factory
http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article4484304.ece/alternates/s615/JS22103678.jpg

IAN BARNET says that when it comes to manufacturing, other cities don’t hold a candle to Glasgow.

The owner and MD of Govan-based Shearer Candles , Ian is always ready to wax lyrical on the many perks of operating out Scotland’s biggest population centre. But the chandler king reckons the light of knowledge for our young people must be encouraged for manufacturing to thrive.

He said: “Glasgow is extremely well placed. Our transportation links are fantastic for export and it’s easy for clients to visit us from China, Europe and the US. There are challenges though and I’d like to see more education and training opportunities for local people, especially the young.” Founded in Glasgow in 1897, the firm was once chandler to the British Empire, producing millions of cheap candles.

Sarah-May Philo: Glasgow has created its own romance and friendship - and we should celebrate it
http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article4481856.ece/alternates/s615/WA3558645.jpg

Men drinking beers at the Tall Cranes in Govan watching the England v Scotland football international match on a giant screen in November 1967.

GLASGOW has created and invented a great many things over the years – including its own love, romance, passion and friendship. A few months ago, I was doing an interview for the Brighton Comedy Festival based around my show, 50 Shades of Smay. After getting through the first few predictable questions such as “Why did you become a comedian?” and “So what’s this show all about anyway?” the questions began to turn in the direction of Glasgow.

My show was all about romance. I wrote it after a tough break-up and, seeing as I was also reading 50 Shades of Grey, I became consumed with the idea that this “romance” thing – in all its strange shapes and forms and feelings – didn’t quite compute with me when I read about it through the eyes of a naive 20-something who happened to meet the billionaire of her very dark dreams.

No to the proposed parking controls in govan
Glasgow city council are proposing to charge residents of Govan £50 a year for the pleasure of parking outside their own house, this is robbery, and quite frankly insulting to the people of Govan who like many across Scotland and the UK are facing an every day challenge just to make ends meet, due to the austerity measures. Local business will be affected Charging £700 a year for a permit, in the unforgiving financial world, one more bill could send a small business over.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Sun Oct 26 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Govan NEWS Today............

Good stuff Jimmy !!.
I have heard the Bens called many things but never 'Censored'.  I would imagine this title is made with tongue in cheek !!.  As it turns out Benburb lost 2-1 at Irvine Meadow yesterday in the Scottish Junior Cup.  Shame that they could not have had a bit of a cup run.  On Facebook they have pictures of the new ground which looks good.
St.Anthony's also lost out in the Scottish Junior Cup by 4-3 at home to Dunipace.

Wed Oct 29 4:48 pm  #3

Hi David, Yes I was wondering about 'Censored' too.

Schoolboy reported after three teachers attacked
Three teachers were involved in an attack by a high school pupil.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/Police%20Scotland_60.jpg

Further details of the incident at the Inverclyde school, which cannot be named for legal reasons, are currently unknown.

Ambulance crews confirmed they were also in attendance at the school. It is understood nobody has been taken to hospital. Police were called to the school shortly before 10 am today.

Three teachers aged 61, 58 and 54 are understood to have been assaulted by a pupil during the morning incident. Despite ambulance crews being in attendance, nobody required any medical attention.

A police spokeswoman said: "A 15-year-old boy will be reported to the Scottish Children's Reporter's Administration in connection with alleged assaults on three male staff members, aged 61, 58 and 54."
DO YOU WANT TO READ MORE??

Hearts up pressure on Celtic by revealing
plans to pay staff living wage

Hearts Football Club has announced it will implement the 'living wage' for all its employees, just months after the Edinburgh side exited administration.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/10/1414507931-158.jpg

The club's majority shareholder Ann Budge said the Hearts board would formalise the £7.65-an-hour minimum for all workers at its annual general meeting in December. It becomes the first club in Scotland to implement the policy, which is championed by anti-poverty campaigners and trade unions. 

The announcement comes just days after it emerged the board of Scottish champions Celtic had advised shareholders to vote against the living wage at its agm next month. The Parkhead side announced in September it had made an £11.2million pre-tax profit last season despite a significant drop in revenue, while chief executive Peter Lawwell received nearly £1million in his annual salary.

Rangers boss McCoist toughs out axe rumours as
Llambias jets in

ALLY McCOIST insists his Rangers resolve will not be broken despite speculation over his future after Mike Ashley's Ibrox power grab.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/10/25719052.jpg

The billionaire businessman has become the key decision maker at the club after his £2million loan deal with the under-fire Light Blues hierarchy.

McCoist's position has been called into question following the boardroom reshuffle, but the boss spoke with chairman David Somers and director Sandy Easdale yesterday.McCoist said: "Every manager knows how precarious the job is. I genuinely thought it was just two board members phoning to give me an update on what has been happening.

"It's not taken its toll. Like any man in any job in any walk of life, some days are better than others. It's the exact same for me. "But I've got some fantastic people around me. For that reason plainly, my resolve is as strong as ever." The SFA last night wrote to Ashley asking for clarification of his Ibrox involvement and plans for Rangers as they bid to determine whether he has any influence at the Light Blues top table.

Celtic boss Deila backs John Bhoy's glory bid
RONNY DEILA wants all his Celtic players to follow John Guidetti's lead - and shoot to be Europa League title winners.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/10/25718719.jpg

The Swedish striker followed up his goal in Sunday's 2-0 win over Kilmarnock with the claim he believes the Hoops can net a quadruple this term, including the conintental competition. Even though he is currently ineligible to play in the Europa League group stage, the man who has banged in five goals in seven games said: "I want to win the quadruple - the three domestic trophies and the Europa League.

"That is what I want so now we have to focus on every game. The quadruple is certainly 100 per cent possible." But rather than call for a more measured approach from his charges, Deila has instead urged his men to also reach for the stars in their Parkhead pursuit of success. 
The Celtic manager said: "I believe everything is possible.

McCoist determined as ever to steer Rangers back to the top
RANGERS manager Ally McCoist today insisted that his determination to return the club to the forefront of Scottish football still remains undiminished.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/10/25718721.jpg

And he revealed he is hopeful the prospect of billionaire businessman Mike Ashley increasing his involvement at Ibrox will help him realise those ambitions. Glasgow was awash with rumours yesterday that McCoist was to be sacked from his position at the Ibrox club after more than three years in charge.

Speculation about his future mounted following the departures of the Rangers chief executive Graham Wallace and financial chief Phillip Nash. 
And as the former Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias prepared to start work at the Championship club today, the whispers continued unabated. But following a series of morning phone calls from chairman David Somers and shareholder Sandy Easdale, the legendary goalscorer was urged to concentrate on his job.

And the man who has taken his boyhood heroes from the bottom division to the brink of the top flight in the last two years stressed he had not considered quitting his post. He said: "I'm as strong willed as I've ever been to continue in my job of getting Rangers back to the top flight. And then further."I won't, and we as a football club can't, lose sight of that. We simply cannot do that as it is far too important to too many people. There have been a lot of things going on in the last couple of years when there might have been a reason, but certainly not an excuse, to take your eye off the ball."

Haste ye back.

Thu Oct 30 11:44 am  #4

Nurse is struck off for falsifying test results
A NURSE who "cut and pasted" previous blood pressure readings and faked other test results has been struck off.
An investigation found that at least 25 patients were given the wrong test results by Margaret Harrison, former practice nurse at Ibroxholm Medical Centre. She also recorded that a patient wished to die at home when no discussion had taken place. The incidents happened between April and October 2012 at the surgery in Paisley Road West and the nurse was sacked two months later.

She will never be able to work as a nurse again after being struck off the register by the Nursing and Midwifery Council last week following 20 years in the profession. The NMC said the nurse's actions were, "a clear abuse of the trust placed in her by her employer and the public".
Alarm bells rang after a patient called to make an appointment for a routine blood pressure check but was told that records showed it had already been done.

Ms Harrison admitted that she had "cut and pasted" the result from a previous consultation. The practice carried out an audit of patients who had attended appointments with Ms Harrison and found that data had been recorded on dates when no patient contact had taken place.

Miller backs Rangers to complete a foursome reel
KENNY Miller today insisted the Rangers squad's strength in depth should allow them to compete in the Championship and three cup competitions this season.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/10/25735101.jpg

Kenny Miller believes Rangers can win four trophies this season

The former Scotland striker helped the Light Blues beat Premiership outfit St Johnstone 1-0 on Tuesday at Ibrox to move into the semi-finals of the League Cup.

And he is hoping to be in the starting line-up when they take on Dumbarton in Saturday's Scottish Cup tie. Miller is also looking forward to the Petrofac Training Cup semi-final against Alloa at the Indodrill Arena later this year. Winning the league and completing "The Journey" from the bottom division to the top flight is Rangers' top priority this season.

But Miller doesn't think Ally McCoist's side should write off the other three trophies. He insisted: "At a club like Rangers you should always be challenging for every competition you enter. "And I think we should be trying to do that regardless of the position we are in at this moment in time."

Haste ye back.

Tue Nov 4 11:34 am  #5

Fire guts derelict Broomloan Road school in Govan area of Glasgow.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/77641000/jpg/_77641932_77641925.jpg

The building was badly damaged in the fire and will undergo a safety inspection
More than 30 firefighters have spent the night tackling a large blaze at a derelict school in Glasgow.

Crews were called to the building on Broomloan Road, in the city's Govan area, just before 23:00 on Tuesday. Police closed roads around the former school while firefighters brought the blaze under control. The structure was badly damaged by the fire and will be the subject of a safety inspection by Glasgow City Council's building control officers. 
An investigation into the cause of the fire is under way.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/77642000/jpg/_77642048_77642047.jpg

Govan to go if Scotstoun wins frigates order.
The shipbuilding heritage of the Clyde could remain but at the loss of Fairfield, Govan as a shipbuilding yard. That was part of the message today from Charlie Blakemore, Director of Transformation at BAE Systems which operates yards at Govan and Scotstoun.
http://www.localnewsglasgow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Option-1-Concept-site-plan-of-proposed-changes-Scotstoun-resized-282x200.jpg

How Scotstoun yard could look in a new era.
The company is currently exploring two options:
1 – to continue to build warships at both yards which are across the river from each other, with improvements to do so costing £100 million.
2 – transform Scotstoun yard into a  world class, covered, single site, shipbuilding centre at a cost of £200 million.

Clearly favouring the Scotstoun option, Charlie Blakemore said: ‘Both sites badly need investment. We lease Govan from Clyde Port Authority but we own Scotstoun and it has the footprint to create an acceptable and safe working environment.’

He also emphasised that with option 1,  partly built ships would have to be ferried from one yard to the other costing more and adding about one third to the time of any project.  But two vessels could be under construction simultaneously at a new Scotstoun. Showing a video prospectus for future workers at BAE Systems – as expressed by present workers – Mr Blakemore said: ‘ This is a really exciting time for us. This journey started two or three years ago and we want it to take us to into world class capability.’

Rangers announce Llambias as a non-executive director
Former Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has been appointed to the Rangers board as a non-executive director,
the club have announced to the Stock Exchange.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/1414446116-920_0.jpg

It is the latest move by Magpies owner Mike Ashley to increase his influence in the running of the Ibrox club.

Rangers chairman David Somers announced last week that Llambias had been brought in as a consultant but now the club has confirmed he has taken on official duties. The club's statement said: "The board of Rangers announces that it has appointed Derek Llambias as a non-executive director. He was nominated as a director of its choice by MASH Holdings Limited pursuant to its agreement to withdraw its requisition for a general meeting, as set out in the announcement dated October 27, 2014. Mr Llambias has been acting as a consultant to the board of Rangers since October 28, 2014.

"Mr Llambias held various positions including managing director of Newcastle United Football Club between 2008 and 2013. Prior to this he has been involved in a number of leisure and gaming businesses. "In accordance with Rangers' Articles of Association, Mr Llambias will be subject to re-election by ordinary resolution of the shareholders of the company at the upcoming Annual General Meeting which is expected to be held in December."

CELTIC v RANGERS ... Stokes is targeting Astra and title charge
ANTHONY STOKES and Ronny Deila have united to insist all thoughts of meeting Rangers in the League Cup semi-final must now be shelved.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/11/25768683.jpg

Anthony Stokes has urged his Celtic mates to forget about the Rangers semi-final clash

The Celtic striker and his club manager recognise how dangerous a distraction the tie can prove to be for a side with major targets to achieve long before the game early next year. The Hoops have finally got on to the shoulders of league leaders Dundee United and second-placed Hamilton after winning their fifth game in a row at the weekend.

And, with a crunch Europa League tie against Astra Giurgiu in Romania on Thursday -when victory could propel them into the last 32 - the excitement generated by the League Cup draw has to be suppressed for the time being. Quite simply, Stokes and Deila agree there is too much to play for between now and then. The Republic of Ireland international said: "The Rangers game is three months away, and we have to put it on the back burner. It's an exciting fixture, and something to look forward to.

"But, the main thing for us is to maintain the winning form we have been showing between now and into the New Year. So, we will put it to the back of our mind. "It is an exciting prospect, but the most important fixture for us is always the next one - and that's in Romania against Astra on Thursday." Stokes has an advantage over many of his team-mates in that he has already played in a Celtic v Rangers match.

Haste ye back.

Board footera