CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Wed Jul 23 12:07 am  #6

Re: Tommy Douglas

david wrote:

A few have suggested that they name a facility after him at the new ground; possibly the new grandstand or clubhouse. It will be a fitting tribute to a man who gave 60 years to the Benburb club. When the Ants had their new ground opened they played a decent Rangers team (losing 7-0).
The Bens should ask the gers along to open the ground.
However as ever the Bens tend to keep their cards close to their chest as we know so probably anything can happen.

David

Yes David that would be fantastic if it came off. But like you know as well as I do everyone is always kept in the dark. We found that out first hand David. The Tommy Douglas stand is a good idea. I just hope they get something done for Tommy's life-long contribution to the Bens.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Thu Jul 24 2:09 pm  #7

Tommy had a season at Duncansfield in 55-56 playing alongside another sadly departed junior legend, Alex Querrie, between them they scored 58 goals. When Tommy played against a very strong Glasgow Rangers XI in a friendly, he scored two goals.

http://www.oberone.talktalk.net/tommy.jpg

He will be very long remembered at Benburb and many of the people of Govan who knew Tommy well.

Just to let everyone know!

Tommy's Funeral will be held on Monday the 28th July 2014, 10.30am at Craigton Crematorium, Glasgow G52 2DB.

Haste ye back.

Thu Jul 24 7:42 pm  #8

Tommy was the hero's hero and a true friend to all in the game 
JUNIOR football has been left all the poorer for the passing of one
of its truly outstanding characters - Tommy Douglas.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/7/24823692.jpg

Picture from MyGovan's website by David Graham.

The Benburb player, manager, match secretary and club official for nigh-on 60 years lost a long battle against illness and sadly died last Sunday morning. Tommy's playing days were mainly spent with Benburb, although he also served Ashfield and Kilsyth Rangers with no little distinction.

But it was undoubtedly his displays for the Chooky Hens that earned him acclaim as one of the best and most feared left-wingers in the Junior game. And no less a footballing icon than Sir Alex Ferguson has gone on record as saying Tommy was one of his favourite Bens players.
DO YOU WANT TO READ MORE?

Haste ye back.

Thu Jul 24 7:55 pm  #9

Well done for advising the funeral details Jimmy.
I imagine there will be a large turnout at Craigton Cemetry.
In relative terms Tommy did not have an exceptionally long playing career with the Bens. However to the Bens support he was immesely popular and seemed to know everyone. I can still see him talking to people under the enclosure and running the line where he was always well turned out. His playing career was cut short by injury. The thing I always liked about him was his openess and honesty. He had been a very talented player but always took time to talk to people. I know autograph books were a rage then and Tommy freely signed them for youngsters.
The game many of the older supporters remembered was the Shotts Scottish Junior Cup match with Shotts which I featured in my book.

Alex.Querrie scored 4 goals in a Scottish Junior Cup Final for Kilsyth Rangers. 

David

Thu Jul 24 8:37 pm  #10

david wrote:

Well done for advising the funeral details Jimmy.
I imagine there will be a large turnout at Craigton Cemetry.
In relative terms Tommy did not have an exceptionally long playing career with the Bens. However to the Bens support he was immesely popular and seemed to know everyone. I can still see him talking to people under the enclosure and running the line where he was always well turned out. His playing career was cut short by injury. The thing I always liked about him was his openess and honesty. He had been a very talented player but always took time to talk to people. I know autograph books were a rage then and Tommy freely signed them for youngsters.
The game many of the older supporters remembered was the Shotts Scottish Junior Cup match with Shotts which I featured in my book.

Alex.Querrie scored 4 goals in a Scottish Junior Cup Final for Kilsyth Rangers. 

David

No problem David. I have a job on the 28th I was trying to change it so I could   Go to the funeral but they need it to be done on the 28th so I don't think I'll be able to make it.  I would have liked to have got up there for it.

Haste ye back.

Board footera