CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu Feb 6 11:32 pm  #1

GOVAN NEWS TODAY

Future of the yards: What next for Govan

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/2/23369397.jpg

Fairfield in Govan has survived threat after threat, somehow finding just one more order as other Clyde ship-builders closed down. Even as BAE Systems signalled that it sees the best future for warship manufacturing at Scots-toun, many still see some kind of future for the site. Company executives have already held talks with council leaders, Scottish Enterprise and the Scottish Govern-ment about Govan.

Their priority? Retaining some kind of manufacturing at the site. Charlie Blakemore, BAE Systems business and transformation director, said: "We have talked all the politicians through the plans."We have had good conversations with Finance Secretary John Swinney, he can see what we want to do.

Want to read more>>MORE HERE

Glasgow City Council park proposal music ban hits wrong note with Govan's Elder Park group

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article3114021.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/GD14766743-3114021.jpg

Elder Park in Govan

A GROUP set up to look after one of Glasgow’s green spaces have hit out at plans to ban music from city parks. Elder Park in Govan was gifted to the people of the area in 1885 by Isabella Elder in memory of her shipbuilder husband John Elder.
The widow wanted the park to give local people “healthful recreation by music and amusement” and stipulated that live music should be played at least once a week.

But under proposed changes to the rules governing Glasgow’s parks, the council want to ban musical instruments being played. Radios and music played on loudspeakers will also be outlawed. Maria Leahy, of the Friends of Elder Park group, said the rules went against the intentions of Isabella Elder’s bequest.

LISTEN: Closing Govan 'Preferred Option' say BAE

http://mediastorage.bauermedia.co.uk/40/72b89/ffa43/e3010/e84fd/56b41/c31f8/baepic_608x376.jpg?1391693615

BAE Systems bosses are setting out options for the future of shipbuilding on the Clyde which could see the closure of the historic Govan yard.

It one be shut down and all work on the new Type 26 Frigates carried out at Scotstoun which would receive major investment to turn it into what BAE Systems calls a world class centre.

The alternative is for the two yards to continue sharing work as they have done for the last decade.But a source at Govan's telling us the workers believe there is NO plan B, and the consultation is sham.

Benburb F.C. Football pitch set to be ripped up for new homes
A RUNDOWN football pitch is to be transformed into a £9.3million housing development.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/2/23329579.jpg

The Bens Tinto Park is to become a housing development

Home Scotland housing ­association has been given permission to rip up the existing football pitch and terracing in Tinto Park in Govan, which is used by junior football club Benburb and build 71 homes for social renting.

The club will use the cash to build a new synthetic pitch and clubhouse on a kickabout space in neighbouring Craigton Park. Richard Brown, the city council's executive director of development and regeneration, said the new housing will include two and three bedroom terraces, three bedroom semi-detached properties and two bedroom cottage flats all with their own gardens.

He added: "The new pitch will be let to Benburb FC long-term, however community access will be maintained.
"The club is keen to make the pitch available for both school use and amateur club use and integrate the ­facility into the local community. "They are happy to build in a minimum of 20 hours community use per week into the lease.

"The proposed 3G pitch will replace an existing, poorly maintained and underutilised grass kick-about area and will have little impact on the natural environment." Mr Brown said the discovery of Japanese knotweed on the site will result a large number of semi-mature, self seeded trees being felled. He explained: "Given this is at the northern end of large areas of trees behind the Benburb terracing, large amounts of those trees will need to be removed as part of the on-site treatment removed.

"This will deal with the ­issue of an invasive species on site and will also reduce the risk of affecting existing housing if it was left unchecked." It is hoped building work will start in March and take around two years to complete.
Stuart Dixon, Home Scotland head of development, said: "We're delighted we've gained planning permission to build 71 new homes in this area of Govan.

"This is a development which will bring much needed social housing to the area and also benefit Benburb FC and the wider community by providing the club with a brand new pitch and facilities. "There is a shortage of affordable housing in the area and these properties will provide modern homes for people who are on local housing waiting lists. "The planning approval follows a thorough public consultation process and we look forward to getting on site and building these much needed homes."

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Sun Feb 9 2:09 pm  #2

Re: GOVAN NEWS TODAY

Good Stuff Jimmy- two or three interesting articles.
With Shipbuilding they surely must be able to put a greater effort into securing orders. At the Portsmouth question time a few months back they said that BAE must have the worst sales department in the world. The Government should support the industry which brings in tens of millions of pounds of revenue. 
Good news about Benburb and of course not before time. They seemed to have made more money out of it than expected. Hopefully that will mean a park with plenty of cover and a seated grandstand.

David 

Wed Feb 19 5:47 pm  #3

Hi David, Thanks for that. Yes I hope the Bens get something good out of it shame their management are still not up to scratch and they are still fielding players who shouldn't be allowed on a crazy golf course let alone a football pitch. Shame that because there are some very good players for the Bens who sadly are let down by the numb nuts. I hope they have a great season and I'll keep my fingers crossed they do. 'Mon the Bens.

P.S. Sorry not been on but been having some hospital treatment. Will try to do better!

Now the Govan News:

Behaviour Festival 2014
Martin O'Connor is looking for performers

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/assets/production/000/103/779/103779_article.jpg?1392654917

Theatre maker Martin O’Connor and The Arches are on the lookout for Glaswegian men of all ages who are interested in being part of the choir for O'Connor's new performance piece Theology. As part of this year's Behaviour Festival, Theology examines the place of religion in Glasgow today. Aside from participating in a reconstruction of the Catholic Mass, the choir will also act as a congregation.
Do you want to read more:>>>READ MORE HERE

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/all/themes/heraldscotland/images/hs-logo.png

Man, 29, assaulted in unprovoked gang attack
A gang of men launched an unprovoked attack on a 29-year-old who was walking with friends from a train station. The man was chased and seriously assaulted at about 11.15pm on Saturday on Tormore Street near Cardonald Railway Station, Police Scotland said. He was taken by his two friends, who were not injured, to Southern General Hospital in Glasgow.

Detective Constable Kenneth Johnston, from Govan CID, said: "This appears to be an unprovoked attack on the man who was making his way home with his friends, and thankfully they had the presence of mind to take him to the nearby hospital.
Do you want to read more:>>>LINK HERE

Tourists head to Scotland ... for the big vote
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2014/2/23460243.jpg

Do you want to read more:>>>READ HERE

Ally McCoist says a real sense of optimism is sweeping through Ibrox for the first time since he became Rangers manager.

The GOVAN gaffer finally reveling in feelgood factor after club stabilises off the park while his team home in on three pieces of silverware.

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article3150728.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/coisty-3150728.jpg

ALLY McCoist believes a wave of optimism is sweeping through Ibrox for the first time since he took over as Rangers boss.

The gaffer says there’s a feelgood factor at the club as Gers anticipate a Scottish Cup quarter-final tie with Albion Rovers.

Do you want to read more:>>>LINK HERE

Haste ye back.

Thu Feb 20 3:49 pm  #4

Jimmy,

In respect to the attack in Tormore Street. I lived next to Tormore Street and it is sad to hear of such attacks.  Hope they catch the folk that carried out the assault.
With the Bens it is good to hear that they are getting a new ground. Long overdue.  It is now 12 years since Benburb last tasted success so hopefully the new ground will bring them some luck. I follow their fortunes on the website/twitter and facebook. Maissie does a first class job with the photo's and I understand she also now produces a good match day programme.  The match reports were good but not sure whether John has given up with them.
Not too sure what sort of reception I would get at the Bens so when we go to Scotland we may take in a match in the new Lowland League.

David

Thu Feb 20 9:32 pm  #5

david wrote:

Jimmy,

In respect to the attack in Tormore Street. I lived next to Tormore Street and it is sad to hear of such attacks.  Hope they catch the folk that carried out the assault.
With the Bens it is good to hear that they are getting a new ground. Long overdue.  It is now 12 years since Benburb last tasted success so hopefully the new ground will bring them some luck. I follow their fortunes on the website/twitter and facebook. Maissie does a first class job with the photo's and I understand she also now produces a good match day programme.  The match reports were good but not sure whether John has given up with them.
Not too sure what sort of reception I would get at the Bens so when we go to Scotland we may take in a match in the new Lowland League.

David

Yes I guess I wouldn't be flavor of the month either David but it was through them all the crap happened. We were trying to do the best for the club and all we got was some numpty moaning. I don't think I would go back to the Bens match again, not because I would be worried at what anyone might say but because I don't car enough about them anymore. I have my own live to get on with never mind worrying about some idiot at the club. To heck with them. They peed on their chips as far as I'm concerned. 

Haste ye back.

Board footera