CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Mon Nov 4 9:08 pm  #6

Re: New Book

Well done David, two and a half years well spent I bet? Let me know when it has been published and where I might buy a copy. Should be a good read.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Tue Nov 5 7:49 pm  #7

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for that. Your book copy will be the first to be sent out and you will not have to pay for it. I am grateful for all your help and hope the book can match the high standards of your My Govan site.
A fair bit of the book is about the backdrop of the Govan Shipbuilding industry in the 1950's. Strange we have todays' announcement on the same subject of Govan shipyard.
The book is 600 pages and could easily have run into thousands of pages. Govan is an interesting place; that is for certain.

David

Thu Nov 14 11:10 am  #8

david wrote:

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for that. Your book copy will be the first to be sent out and you will not have to pay for it. I am grateful for all your help and hope the book can match the high standards of your My Govan site.
A fair bit of the book is about the backdrop of the Govan Shipbuilding industry in the 1950's. Strange we have todays' announcement on the same subject of Govan shipyard.
The book is 600 pages and could easily have run into thousands of pages. Govan is an interesting place; that is for certain.

David

Hi mate, I am very grateful for the offer of the free edition of your book but you are too generous. Please let me pay for it. I know, a Scot give up a free offer is a bit out of the publics mictaken opinion about us Scots but you have put so much effort into the book and I am sure it will be of great quality. My Dad worked at Fairfields as a Joiner. I know the SS Canberra was built in Belfast but I can remember my Dad telling me he worked on the ship. Maybe he went over there to do the fitting, not sure as I was only 12 at the time Canberra was launched. She was launched on 16 March 1960.

Now here is something really strange for you to ponder. My Dad worked on the Canberra in 1958/1960 and I watched the Canberra unloading our troups at San Carlos Water on 21 May 1982. I was already on the island by then. They used to call her the great White Whale. Because as you know the Canberra was all white. After the war she brought some of us home again and although she was a bit rusty now here and there, she was still in my eyes a beautiful ship.

She was an ocean liner, which later operated on cruises, in the P&O fleet from 1961 to 1997. But little did we all know in 1958 that I would watch her coming in to the Falklands in 1982. She was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Northern Ireland at a cost of £17,000,000. 

Here she was after she brought us back and returned from the Falklands.

http://www.nickmessinger.co.uk/Falkands%20Folder/canberra_returns.jpg

Fond memories of this ship. I found this on youtube a while ago when I looked up the Canberra and her link with the Falklands after she brought us home again.

She was given some TLC in the King George V Graving Dock in Southampton after she returned in 82 in this photo:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6043/6327197650_d522e860e1_z.jpg

Canberra for scrap

After a lengthy refit, Canberra returned to civilian service as a cruise ship. Her role in the Falklands War made her very popular with the British public, and ticket sales after her return were elevated for many years as a result. Age and high running costs eventually caught up with her though, as she had much higher fuel consumption than most modern cruise ships. She was withdrawn from service in September 1997 and sold to ship breakers for scrapping, leaving for Gadani ship-breaking yard, Pakistan the next month. She did not give up without a fight however; her deep draft meant that she could not be beached as far as most ships, and due to her solid construction the scrapping process took nearly a year instead of the estimated three months. A sad end to the memories of my past and my present.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Fri Nov 15 11:28 am  #9

Hi Jimmy,

The book is with the Publishers. At the moment they seem to be busy with the Christmas book rush so I am resigned to a publication date in the new year.
I remember the Falklands War and I imagine it must have been scary. The problem is having that War seems to have encouraged our politicians to get into every conflict going and the results are such sadness for everyone.
I bought a book called Glacier Island about South Georgia at the time. What a fascinating place that is. I was talking to an engineer yesterday in Portsmouth and he was telling me about getting chased by an elephant seal. He was saying they are surprisngly quick. I said the calenders we send out will be all pictures of Govan Shipyard (pulling his leg of course).
My book has quite a bit on Fairfields as well as the other yards.

Great stuff on the Canberra.

David

Sun Jan 5 7:09 pm  #10

At long last the book is finished and hopefully will be published in the next few weeks.
The Publishers have been good and we have been singing from the same hymn sheet throughout the process. They are called the Choir Press.
The book is large and it has taken two and a half yearsof research. One half is a story of fiction.families around Govan in the 1950 early 1960's. They certainly lived through  very fast changing true events in that period especially the battles to save the yards.
Govan High and countless people have been very helpful with my research.
The second part of the book is of course about football. It covers from playground to world cup finals and has a definate Govan bias. Teams and individuals in this period are covered and it was a period when Govan done well.

I aleady have the book registered and the only thing left is the cover. I have suggested red and black the Govan High colours. However I am leaving it to the professionals Choir Press who have been in tune with my needs so far.

David

Board footera