CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud Mìle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sat May 18 9:28 am  #1

New Book

Thanks for the plug Jimmy.  I thought it a good idea to write a book a few years ago. Alas I am still writing it !!.  In between working and countless other things time has often been at a premium. However hopefully in the next few months it will finally be finished and sent off to the publishers. It is a sizable book and has many pages. Lots of Govan and Benburb of course and a fair bit about Scotland in general.
Not too sure how successful it will be but if it provides some enjoyment to some folk then it will have been worthwhile.
Regarding Benburb Football Club there are many people who know far more about the club than I. However I can usually find at least some of the answers to questions somewhere and only too pleased to help.

David

Sat May 18 1:12 pm  #2

Re: New Book

No problem there David. I will look forward to its publication.  You will have to let us know where we will be able to purchase a copy when it is released.

Now that I no longer need to dedicate so much time to all the Benburb stuff I used to I will be able to spend more time here on MyGovan and its Forum. I did neglect here a little but that will now change. Must get on with my life in govan too.

Nice to see you on here David and look forward to more of your Govan snipits and thoughts.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Tue Jun 11 7:58 pm  #3

A short Book Extract relating to a teacher at Drumoyne Primary School and the first televised political debate by candidates at a by election.
CHAPTER 37
LET US HASTE  TO KELVINGROVE
Drumoyne School has one male teacher and his name is William Park. He is about to become famous and get at least half an hour in the front of Scottish television and BBC television cameras.
A By Election has been called for the Westminster Constituency of  Glasgow Kelvingrove  on the opposite side of the River Clyde from Govan.
Derek has arrived home to 31, Daviot Street and put on the television. It takes around 5 minutes for the valves to warm up and a face he recognises is on the screen; Mr. Park a teacher at his school !. Ruth and Robbie are both sitting reading. Ruth reads a newspaper on the table ; drinking tea and smoking a cigarette. Her brother Robbie reads a book whilst sitting in front of an armchair in front of a warm coal fire. He smokes a pipe making the living room full of smoke.
Derek says ‘ Mr.Park is a teacher at Drumoyne School; what is this politics he is discussing ?’.  Ruth says ‘He is standing as a Candidate in the By Election at Kelvingrove but he has no chance whatsoever’. 
A few days later and William Park is the first Candidate to lodge his papers with the Sheriff at the County Buildings in Glasgow. He is to be the Independent Labour Party Candidate. The newspaper reporters are there to obtain a quote or two from him.
Mr.Park says ‘ Well at least I will be first at something !. The first to lodge my papers for the By Election !’. He is then asked ‘Why are you splitting the Labour vote at the By Election ?’. Mr Park replies ‘ It is the Labour and the Tory Candidates that are splitting the vote !’.  There are three major policies in which we are different from the Labour and Tory candidates. That is the H Bomb; Conscription and Unilateral Disarmament’.
The reporters ask ‘What about your campaign ?’.  Mr.Park replied ‘ I will not be taking any time off from my teaching job at Drumoyne School except for the last few days and the day of the count. I will be doing my campaigning in the open air for the most part ‘. 

David

Sat Jun 15 10:30 pm  #4

I like the substance of it. I can remember waiting for the TV to warm up too. The first TV set we had was a Baird. A wee 10 or 12 inch black and white screen/picture. Trying to get the best reception by walking around the room with the ariel. Looks like a real good read David.

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Wed Oct 30 8:37 pm  #5

A wee update on progress.

The book is now finished and I am working with the publisher to get it printed.
Being the first attempt at a book; and probably the last I completely underestimated how much time is involved. I hoped it would be written and published in one year. It has taken two and a half years !!.
The amount of research involved has been considerable. 
The book is 600 pages circa; very large. Govan is an interesting topic and the book could easily have been many times larger. 
The one thing the research brings out is what a great set of people the Govanites were and still are. They are humerous, good at picking you up and knocking you down as they see fit.

Hopefully the next update will give details on the book publication dates.

Many Thanks,

David

Board footera