CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud M├Čle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu Oct 6 4:11 am  #1

From Govan to Australia

Hi there!!

what a great site!!

Born in the Southern General, April 1970, Eaglesham Street from birth, Burliehg Street, from 2 to 5, and then 20 Howat Street, from 5 until about 10.

Ah Govan, so many memories, that, at the time, were awful can be looked at now with rose coloured glasses 

As a wee boy growing up in Govan, i dont know how i survived! my older borther went to the old Hills Trust Primary, although i went to the new one, just a stonesthrow away. Govan, was ... an adventure. Most of memories are from no. 20 Howat Street, the close right at the bottom of the street, even as a wee boy, i can remember all the neighbours from the close, Margaret Reevie, David Carey, and Pat O'Neill, if i remember rightly, gruff man, shop steward in the neighbouring shipyard, and a man of some note apparently! i remember so many things, i remember playing on the swingpark in McKechnie street, just like these marvellous photo's online, i remember the Smart family, that i played with, Charlie and Maureen Smart, and the swathes of kids in tow, Maureen was my "Aunty", that old tradition, where she wasn't a blood relative, but a very good friend of my mums! it was simpler in those times, just to call her "Aunty Maureen", i remember playing in McKechnie street, round about 1976-1977, Maureen was the usher at the Lyceum, and opened the back door of the cinema, and sneaked me in to see Jaws, i guess age ratings didnt mean so much back then, but it terrified me, as a 7 year old, and as such i have never learned to swim, although i remember going to see Star Wars over 50 times, for 25p admission, and "The Magnificent 6 1/2", on Saturday Matinees.

I played in Howat Street, Rathlin Street, and McKechnie street, i can fondly remember the waste ground created, when the left side of Rathlin street was demolished, round about 1977 ish, we took our lives in our hands, running through rows and rows and of derelict buildings, we always had a big bonfire, at the bottom of the wasteground, bottom end of Howat Street backs, i remember walking along the brick wall, that ran the length of the street roon the back, and jumping from Dyke, to Dyke ... again, taking my life in my hands! I remember the Sunday morning, were, as a young boy, the huge crane collapsed in the yard, and made such a noise, several windows in the street went in, i remember dark things to, like adolescents sniffing glue, at the jetty for the ferry, near the graveyard, and also violence, or "The Govan Young Team" where never far behind, from when i was younger, i remember climbing out the kitchen window in Burleigh Street, the back yard was above the shop roof, we turned 2 bins upside and put a door up as a stage, one end on the bins, the on the top of a wall. I was pushed off,  by a young local boy, Robert Martin was his name, dont remember much, except had that "hard" look about him, 2 clean streaks under his nose where the snotters had to be periodically snorted back up, and an extremely short haircut, probably to deal with lice etc!! he shoved me from the stage, and i fell, breaking both my arms, and blessing me with the earliest memmory that i have. I remember going the Nursery, at the Pearce Institute, with Nancy and Mrs Purdy, and making paper chains for Xmas. I remember the Govan Fair, and watching the floatillas go by, and watching the young pipe bands, and twirling thier baton, higher than anyone else, i guess i was like any other kid back then, used to rake the bins for ginger bottles, and get a box of matches, and torch anything that wasnt tied down!

I now find myself living in Canberra, Australia, at the age of 41, i came here with an Aussie lassie, long gone, but i stayed, so my daughter can know she is Scottish, as well as Australian. I find myself, incredibly proud, and happy, to be part of a memorable time, dont get me wrong, i look at pictures from my youth, and think "my god ..." but ya know, i wouldn't change a thing, growing up in Glasgow, before moving out here 5 years ago, has left me with a very no nonsense, pragmatic aprroach to things, and i use that common Glasgow resource of humour, to combat adversity. I can relate to nearly every post here, and its an absolute joy to be 12,500 miles away, and find this site.

If anyone has any pictures of the backyard from Howat street, or Burliegh Street, or surrounding streets, that would be great ... pretty big ask i know!

oh! and hello

Thu Oct 6 1:00 pm  #2

Re: From Govan to Australia

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post knightstone. I think Jimmy comes from down that part of Govan somewhere behind the Lyceum.

David

Thu Oct 6 1:36 pm  #3

Loved reading your memories, Knightstone. I lived in Pearce Street and have a couple of old photos taken from a neighbour's window looking over to Burleigh Street. They were taken a bit before your time, during my mother's time really as she lived there too as a child. I will look them out. Maybe your window is in one of the photos.

Thu Oct 6 10:37 pm  #4

Ellen wrote:

Loved reading your memories, Knightstone. I lived in Pearce Street and have a couple of old photos taken from a neighbour's window looking over to Burleigh Street. They were taken a bit before your time, during my mother's time really as she lived there too as a child. I will look them out. Maybe your window is in one of the photos.

Ellen, that would be great, i am writing a book for my wee girl here, so she can know, she was born in Canberra, but concieved in Glasgow !!

LOL

i want her to know of her heritage

Mon Oct 10 2:23 pm  #5

Knightstone, Jimmy has put them on under Govan Picture Slideshow.

Board footera