CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO MYGOVAN's MAIN WEBSITE

MyGovan

Visitors to the main website

Ceud M├Čle Failte. - MyGovan Forum has been created for people of Govan all over the world.

Please remember ALL Usernames and Passwords are 'Case Sensitive'.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Tue Jun 14 1:49 pm  #6

Re: Linthouse Buildings

David wrote:

A month or so back, Jimmy said he was going in for a wee op. I seem to re-call. So fingers crossed that has gone well and he will be back posting soon.
The work Jimmy has done on the former Linthouse football club is excellent. For the latter part of their existance they played at Govandale which was aground situated by the River Clyde behind where the Lyceum is now. When we attended Drumoyne School and later  Govan High it was said by many elderly people at the time that Pirie Park had hosted Scottish League Football at one time. So was this the Langlands Park. A book written by David Twydell covering Linthouse Football Club tends to point more over the Craigton Road area.  Some of Linthouse still exists of course and there are tenements behind the MC Donalds. However the local Elder park School has been knocked down.
So lets hope Jimmy is back with his posts soon feeling a lot better !.

David

Well Hello there everyone... Jimmy's back! Wwwoooo everything is ok now and I'm no deed yet!
Glad you liked what I did on the Linthouse Football Club David. I try to please and put into our MyGovan what our members are looking for. Thank you for your kind words as it does mean a lot to me knowing that my efferts are not in vane. Have a wonderful week.
Kind regards, Jimmy!

Haste ye back.
             Jimmy. (webmaster@mygovan.com)

Tue Jun 14 1:52 pm  #7

norrie wrote:

Hi Govanites, has anyone heard from Jimmy
I sent an email but have had no reply
Bye for now, norrie

Sorry Norrie but didn't receive an e-mail must be somewhere out there in cyberland....
Hope you are all well and keeping the Govan spirit alive?
Have a great week!
Kindest regards, Jimmy.

Haste ye back.

Sun Jun 19 11:48 am  #8

David wrote:

Good to see you back again Jimmy and hope that the op done the trick.
I have started writing a book on my life in Govan as a child. At the moment I have reasched page 40 and going great guns. At some stage I may want to cadge some of your photo's but I will ask your permission if they are required of course. I already have a large collection available to fulfill most aspects of the book which hopefully will be published around Christmas. 
Keep up the good work !.

David

Hi David, Op went fine, i'm no deed yet! Great stuff, writing a book of your childhood in Govan. I will look forward to it being published. As to the photo's. Use what ever you want. No problem here my friend.
Regards,
Jimmy.

Haste ye back.

Thu Jun 30 10:58 am  #9

David wrote:

Thank you very much Jimmy and Tony for your good wishes.
Unfortunately I am still within working age for a few more years, run my own business and still active with work.
Hence I have to write the book at a relatively slow rate of knots. At present I have reached 40 pages but more once the pictures are added. My guess is it will be ready for around Christmas or just after. Obviously I do not want to give too much away on content, that would spoil it for potential readers.
However safe to say there is a fair bit about Benburb and football in general. Obviously a lot about Govan in the post war to mid 1960's period.
Our firm sponsor the Bens programmes and website so the Printing should not be a problem. I will probably use the same firm that prints the programme covers. We will be thinking about the Publishing over the next few months. I have enjoyed writing the book and I sincerely hope it gives any readers the same level of enjoyment. Looking back wards and writing you soon realise what an intense place Govan was to live with so many events happening.

Again thank you both for your interest and I will keep you informed on progress.

David

Hi David, Yes thanks for that will look forward to your sitrep, have a good week!

Haste ye back.

Sun Oct 30 2:29 pm  #10

Hi, Jimmy,
I have just discovered your site and have read your pieces about Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd. I started there in 1952 when I also attended Glasgow Uni.  to get my degree in Naval Architecture. I remained at Stephens until the end of 1964, spending my last 3 years there in the Repair Department
When I started, Alan Blacklaws was Asst. Personnel Manager and, as a regular reader still of The Herald, I spotted his death notice recently and attended his funeral last Wednesday in Edinburgh.  I am sure there will be many of your readers who knew him when he was at Stephens.  He then joined S & N Breweries and moved up to become their Director of Personnel.

Art there any ex Stephenites from my time who remember me? I would love to hear from them.

Ken Paterson

Last edited by kenpat (Sun Oct 30 2:30 pm)

Board footera